Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Inspiration Elevator #20: Ten Years From Now


Inspiration Elevator

You may recall that the purpose of this challenge group is to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. You can view all of the challenges our new Inspiration Elevator Blog, here.

 Our challenge this month comes from the very talented Jodi Wilton . Here's what she had to say in her very own words: "My challenge for January. The New Year is always about bettering ourselves; looking into the future, and making goals (some attainable, some not so much). Scrapbooking is about recording the story and most of these stories are in the past, so we don't forget the memories we created. For this challenge I would like you to scrapbook yourself, your family, or a particular family member and where you (or them) would like to be in ten years time. The focus for this challenge is on the journaling. Your layout or art journal may be in the form of a letter to your future self. Your layout may or may not have any photo at all and be all about the journaling. Dip deep! Really think about what you can (or they can) accomplish! What are your dreams? What are your goals? Good luck ladies!"

Whew! These journalling challenges kick my butt! I've had a pretty emotional time since my beloved Bobo passed away in November. I try to avoid sad movies, FB posts and novels as oce I get teary the floodgates open and I seem to slide into sadness for a long time afterwards! Having said this, this challenge wasn't SAD per se but I knew any words I wrote would invariably move me to tears regardless. I admitt to scrapping these photos and putting the writing off til the very last minute.

Since I often share designs about Adriane (Dolly) I wanted to write to Max aout how he has grown and the changes we see in him as a teen. We are so encouraged by who he is as a person: mature, caring, funny, loving and so so so smart. The words I wrote are intensely private and out of respect to him I have kept them personal on the back of the layout.

So here it is..a bit old school but I used a cute sketch and I like how it worked with the Authentique Original papers from my stash.
 I could have a put a bit of journalling on the lower left to balance it all out but couldn't decide in the end what to say that was too much. I also think I may add a bit of stitching? Who knows?! I may still make those changes. As for technique: just a bit of misting and a crinkled "14" for some texture and depth.

Once again this process is about growth and the process of writing for Max was very cathartic and I know he will enjoy what I have said to him whenever he reads it.  I poured my heart out and while the layout might not be winning any awards it showcases my darling boy at his best and shows how I love him.

I hope you will check out the other bloggers on our little tour here and find out what they had to say about their journey.



Until next time, keep doing what you love!

7 comments:

  1. Amazing layout, and I love how you described it and your feeling. I am proud of you for sticking to the challenge and embracing it, keep your words private is absolutely fine in my books. It is your page and your message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fabulous page of Max!! I am sure he will treasure it and the words you have written to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such great photos of Max! He is such a handsome young man :) And I like the papers you paired them with!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute sketch...I know how hard it was to do the journaling for you...these stories are hard aren't they? The beauty of our challenges :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I love that you share how you are feeling about the journaling...I was going to scrap about my son too and what I want for him..hard to focus on all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE how you poured your heart into this and you focused on the journaling! You tackled the challenge like a pro.... Such great photos !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you did with these photos of Max, Christa!

    ReplyDelete