Friday, June 15, 2012

Inspration Elevator Challenge 2: Telling The Story

Welcome to our second Inspiration Elevator challenge. You may recall from last month`s challenge that the purpose of this venture was to take our scrapbooking to the next level; to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work hard and stretch our art. This month`s challenge was issued by the very talented Laura Whitaker. Here`s a sampling of what Laura asked us to do:

``For my challenge I wanted to get back to the root of scrapbooking a little bit, back to the preserving of memories; to encourage you to look at your photos a little more closely.  We all have cute photos of the sweet-faced children and beautiful family members, in our lives, that we can scrapbook.  But I want to challenge you to choose a photo that tells a story or evokes an emotion, something a little different than our children playing or family members posing.   We all have heard that a picture speaks a thousand words. Chose a photo that was taken from behind the subject, preferably one in which you cannot see their face.  Maybe you have chosen not to scrap a particular photo in past because you couldn’t see the subject’s face very well, this is the perfect time to use that photo. Then the story will be the focus and not the face.   Then tell the story that goes with the photo via your journaling.  This way when our families look back at this page years from now, they will truly be reminded of the moment.``

What an incredible challenge! For those of you who know my work, I am not a big journaller. Now, I know that for some it is the whole point of Scrapbooking; to create lasting memories for our families and that the `story` is as important as the photo and the art. But for me it is about the creative process and sometimes the words just don`t fit into the design. So I began my process as I do every other layout: with a picture that inspires me, great products and an idea. 


This photo of my children was taken 4 years ago in Cuba. I had made them get up early (very early!) and dress in co-ordinating colours (did I mention I made my hubby, Rich and I do it too?) I wanted to beat the crowds and catch the water at a calmer time. The light was lovely and they actually co-operated (even Rich!) I got lots of great shots and when I finished (amidst whoops and yahoos!) we decided to head up to the main hall for breakfast. Max took Adriane`s hand and I snapped this last shot. Here`s the journalling I created for the design and the challenge. Laura is right; this photo had a story (even though it`s a short one) that I want them to remember.


I have waited many years to scrapbook this photo and it is like Authentique`s Fresh line was made for it. The soft blues and greys really accent the water and the sand. It captured the calm morning light and seemed to bring out the emotion in the photo. My design includes lots of `Christa` things like machine stitching, minimal card stock and a short title. I also created a small cluster using clear beads and a starfish. I wanted this design to remain simple and uncluttered so that the photo and the feeling shone through.


I loved this challenge and it did make me think about why I do this craft, and what I have to `say` when I create. It helped me remember the story and to find room on the design to tell it for posterity. Thanks Laura!

I hope you have been inspired, I know that my fellow group of artists have been working all month to create gorgeous and inspiring designs. Here`s the list of my IE friends and I hope you`ll pop by and see what they have created and perhaps take a moment to say a word or two.



I hope you will come back next month and see what the extraordinary Audrey Yeager has in store for us. Until then keep doing what you love (I know I am!)
Christa

Supply List
Authentique Fresh Papers: Clear, Clean, Details Stickers
Misc Glass beads
Lollihop Font and starfish embellishment by Silhouette

15 comments:

  1. Love the soft, muted colors on your layout Christa! Perfect for your gorgeous pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You started with a wonderful photo, of course, and those pp are perfect (you are right!)I love the starfish and the pebbles and the gorgeous simplicity of this page. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning layout! Love the added bits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything about this - the photo, the choice of paper, your stitched journaling. Pure perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful Christa! The papers go so well with your photo and the little elements are in perfect balance with the page!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how soft and airy this is, everything just flows with the beautiful photo, the papers and embellishments you chose! Just gorgeous, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful line of paper and you certainly did it justice with your page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So lovely Christ! I do believe Authentique created this line with it's watery blues and greys just for you! I love that this moment, though unplanned was captured as it is so very sweet. I love that you kept the design simple as your photo truly pops. You are such a wonderful mom, your children will look back on all of the moments you are capturing and know how blessed they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! The journalling strips and soft colours are just perfect with that layout! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous! I love how you stitched across the bottoms of the strip journaling, the soft colors of your layout are so pretty, and that picture is absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christa this page is so light and airy!!!!! Your photo is just amazing and the color palette is just perfect! Love the stitching on the journaling strips, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this page...you can feel the calm...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Positively gorgeous! Wow, such a fantastic photo and a lovely layout to compliment it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet page Christa! Love the photo and the papers you used are indeed a perfect fit! I really like the starfish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! So soft. That photo tells a story!

    ReplyDelete